Friday, June 22, 2012

Sally Hansen Salon Effects Nail Polish Strips Review



If there was one product for me to be reluctant about, it would have to be this one.  There is always one in each grouping.  I have heard many things about it from various sources.  Influenster says:
Don't Get Stuck With a Sticker!

Nothing feels or wears like real nail polish. Now Sally makes it easy to get Salon Effects anytime, any place using real nail polish – with no dry time! Don’t settle for plastic imitations that peel off. We’re the real thing. Just peel, apply & file! Learn more at www.sallyhansen.com
  • No dry time
  • Lasts up to 10 days
  • Removes easily with nail polish remover
  • 40 must-have styles
I put this one off as much as I could.  I set them aside always planning to put them on and then allowed things to come up.  Afterall, I just moved a month ago and had tons of unpacking and cleaning.  It's too hot to do anything!  Yep.  Excuses.

Something about that description seems too easy.  Did I mention that sometimes I am a klutz?  It's true.  I'm the worst ambidextrous person when it comes to being able to do tasks with both hands.  I can do some things as a lefty and some as a righty.  Nail polish isn't one of them.  These strips I didn't think would be either.

I finally got the courage to do it, though.  I googled for tips and I read the instructions multiple times just to make sure I didn't miss something.  I even looked on the Sally Hansen site for a how-to.  I prepared myself fully.  And then I opened the little box.

*GULP* "Not intimidating" I lied to myself.  I read those directions inside, too.  These came with two small packages of nail polish strips, a file and a cuticle stick.  Ok...

I took a deep breath and gathered the rest of the suggested materials: scissors, acetone/cottonball, some cuticle cream, a basecoat and topcoat, and a nail buffer.  I'm sure you are wondering why.  I had read that the strips show nail ridges, so I made sure to double check that my cuticles were extra groomed and that my nail beds.were smooth to the touch.  After all, I cook and clean, so who knows if I may have nicked my nail a little. 

I swiped my nails with acetone and proceeded to follow the instructions.  When I tried opening the first package of strips, this happened.

I had to break into the package.  I'm convinced there's a conspiracy!  As I applied the strips, I warmed them between my fingers for a few seconds to make them more pliable.  As time went on, I found the strips were easier to smooth if I cut the bulk of the excess once I placed the strips on the nail.  Somewhere I had read that using a basecoat made the strips stick better, so with a couple of nails, I did that too.  My little experiment, you could say.  After they were all on, I painted a nice thick topcoat over the strips to make sure they stayed on.  I wasn't convinced that they would otherwise.


So far they have held on, but I will say, it was a bit more difficult than the package let on.  I had problems with parts of the strip tearing as I was placing them on with a little stretch as the instructions said to do.  They also had points where they didn't want to stick onto the nail.  That one could have been my fault.  And as newly applied strips, they look as though there is tip wear.  I guess what this really means is that I need more practice.

These strips can be found at chain drug stores, food stores and mass merchandisers nationally.  The suggested retail price is $9.99.  You can find more information at http://www.sallyhansen.com.

FTC Disclaimer: As mentioned above, these products were provided to be my Influenster for my review. As always, any opinions provided are honest and my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment