Wednesday, November 23, 2011

The Holidays

I've been asked by several people what I wanted for the holidays, or what gifts I wanted for the holidays.  To be honest, I have NO idea.  I first think, well, maybe I can hint at things I need.  But what do we all really need?  I have clothing on my back, food on my table and a roof over my head.  I have clean water and electricity to power this old laptop and the desktop I custom built for pretty cheap.  My wants aren't far from that.  I am the kind of person who just buys what I want if I can justify the purchase.  A new pair of boots isn't just a fashion statement, they are a winter necessity and a way of keeping my calves and ankles warm.  That expensive moisturizer is what keeps my skin clear.  That sulfate-free shampoo keeps my medium/long hair looking healthy.  Again, it's not a true necessity, but a want that I can justify.  And that's why I can't just say I want one thing or another.  I also can't deny that I still drool over some things, but if I really think about it, I don't need it and can't really justify it.

So what do I tell people when they ask?  I don't want to seem ungrateful for their lovely gestures, but my mind is a complete blank.  I tell my family that all I want is to spend time with them.  In the end, items break, are consumed, or get lost.  Those memories and the joy of a good time will last.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment